We had a good turnout for our 55th Reunion, hope to see all at the 60th in 2020.
Phoenix Union High School was established in 1895, with the first student body that numbered 90 students. The school was held in the old Central School building on the second floor, which later became approximately the San Carlos Hotel property. This is the same year that the Korrick's store was opened, as well as a cricket match was held at Eastlake park.
After two years the District was authorized by the voters to purchase the old Churchill residence at 5th Street and Van Buren for PUHS at a cost of $15, 000. In 1898 the first classes were held at that site. Classes grew rapidly, another $10,000 was allocated for remodeling to the North. The building stood until 1949, when demolished for a cafeteria.
In 1910 Phoenix's population had reached 11,134 and there were 300 students
enrolled at PUHS. Temporary buildings were build in 1909 to accommodate the
increase. A bond issue was rejected in 1919 to remodel the failing buildings.
Additional buildings were build in 1929. Now the City of Phoenix population
numbered 29,053 and the students at PUHS was 1000.
It was the only secondary education school in the Phoenix area until 1939 with the creation of North Phoenix High School. Many cultural events were held on the campus, especially at "Montgomery" stadium, such as the "The Masque of the Yellow Moon".
Carver High School was combined with PUHS in the Fall of 1954. The last year for Phoenix Technical school was 1955, which also became part of Phoenix Union High School. Then in the Fall of 1956, the Class of 1960 started as freshman. At that time Phoenix Unions was the largest high school west of the Mississippi. That freshman class had more students than the entire Phoenix Union student body of 1929. Relief and sadness of many of our freshman went on to continue at the newly build Carl Hayden and Central High Schools in 1957. This was the year (1957-58) that Earl McCullar was appointed principal of Phoenix Union.
The Phoenix Union High School's last class was in 1982, only three building remain.
The Class of 1960 had many moments to remember, many included the spirit
of "Coyotes" in achieving outstanding students and athletes that made being
a Coyote proud. We continue to:
The late Pat Finley Salad Bowl Princess in 1958
Phoenix Uninon High School - Class of 1967 Reunion
9/29/2017 and 9/30/2017
Comments or Suggestions e-mail to